Saturday, June 29, 2013

Cucumbers and Croutons

   My latest addiction is a healthy one. Every afternoon I cleanly slice a fresh cucumber, add a little salt, add a little pepper, and add some croutons on the side. When my kids complain there are no more chips, I chunk this little plate of cukes in front of them.  Letting my children try alternative snacks is my mission this summer. I'll admit the kids have blatantly rolled their eyes. But once they realize there is no alternative, they give in and adapt. A plate of half-eaten cucumbers is more gratifying for a mother than a bag of chips. 
  My husband's grandmother hooked me on this delicate snack. Everyday she has a sliced tomato and cucumber on a plate on her counter at lunch. On my visits, I would sit on her cushioned window seat, chat, and nibble on her fresh veggies. Before I realized it the plate was empty. They were more addictive than cheese puffs. 
    For some reason the food tastes so much better from grandma's house even a plain ole cucumber. So the grandchildren want to know her secret ingredient. She simply tells them, "This snacks secret is its simplicity." 


No comments:

Post a Comment